How Much Is It To Build A Barn?
- Joe Thomas
Updated on 18 August 2022 Authored by HomeAdvisor A barn may be constructed for between $20 and $150 per square foot, including materials and labor. A modest, prefabricated 8-by-12-foot barn can cost as low as $1,920, while a gigantic 40-by-80-foot wood post-and-beam barn can cost as much as $480,000.
- A modular metal pole barn is more likely to cost closer to $30 per square foot, or $45,000 for 1,500 square feet.
- This estimate for the price of a barn varies widely owing to: Wood and lumber can cost as much as $100 per square foot, whereas metal can cost as little as $20 per square foot.
- Variable labor expenses, with prefabricated barns requiring no professional labor, modular barns costing between $5 and $10 per square foot, and custom barns costing up to $50 per square foot in labor alone.
Variable barn building costs for stick-built versus modular construction, barn type and style, and barn function. Barns are gaining popularity as houses, wedding venues, and other luxury applications. Adding indoor plumbing for kitchens and baths, major electrical work, and the expense of an interior designer will increase the price of your barn.
- If you are doing this project, it is recommended that you examine our accompanying pricing guides, which describe how much it costs to build a home and, more particularly, a barndominium.
- This particular barn cost guide focuses on conventional use cases, such as horse barns, cow barns, and hay barns.2022 Material Costs Are Increasing.
The demand for construction materials has increased during the past year. As a result, manufacturers are raising the cost of materials. This year, prices have increased by 10% to 15%, and several regions of the nation are facing lengthy delivery periods.
This chart depicts the average, maximum, and minimum expenses to construct a metal pole barn, which is around $30 per square foot.500 square feet, 1,500 square feet, and 3,500 square feet are reflected in the three pricing. A simple prefab barn may cost as little as $1,920, while a complicated wood barn of 3,200 square feet might cost as much as $480,000.
|Barn Dimensions in Feet (Length x Width)||Average Cost Range|
|8×12||$1,920 – $14,400|
|12×20||$4,800 – $36,000|
|20×20||$8,000 – $60,000|
|30×36||$21,600 – $162,000|
|24×50||$24,000 – $180,000|
|40×50||$40,000 – $300,000|
|40×80||$64,000 – $480,000|
How long does it take to construct a barn?
PHASE 5: POLE BARN CONSTRUCTION BEGINS – The moment you’ve been waiting for has arrived: your pole barn has been constructed. On average and depending on size, barns are constructed within three weeks. Here are some typical construction durations, excluding preceding phases:
|Small Barn (24′ x 24′)||2-5 days|
|Medium Barn (40′ x 60′)||3-7 days|
|Large Barn (50′ x 80′)||5-12 days|
|Commerical Barn (60′ x 200′)||15-20 days|
|Horse Barn/Arena (36′ x 50′)||5-10 days|
Buildings made of posts rise swiftly. They effortlessly carry out their duties. When compared to traditional building methods, pole barns are the way to go if you want something quick, simple, and inexpensive.